Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Hometown "Tourist"

My own travel observation...
Sometimes it is absolutely wonderful to be a "tourist."

It's been one week since I had the wonderful opportunity to take a day trip to Lake Placid, and literally, be a "tourist." I have lived in the North Country for a good portion of my life, yet have never experienced it as your stereotypical tourist--camera out, sunglasses on, and itinerary filled with actual tours. 

The point of going over my wonderful day with you is to pass on my observation--sometimes it's great to be a tourist in your own town. I learned a lot about Lake Placid that I didn't know. I saw the town from a different point of view--a point of view that makes people from all sorts of cultures and backgrounds to want to vacation in Lake Placid (we saw a father and son speaking Italian while we were there!). While we all love to travel and see the sights outside of what we see every day... you can't truly get the most out of your experience until you have a firm grasp of where you are coming from.

It's important to note a couple quick quotes here regarding being a tourist: it is said that you should be a traveler and not a tourist. Travelers, they say, embrace a culture, learn the ways, and enjoy the experience of travel. Tourists, they say, bring their own stereotypes about their destination and watch their destinations pass by through a looking glass rather than immersing themselves into the experience. I agree--when at all possible, be a traveler. But, if you are just traveling through your hometown, why not be a tourist? Look at your town through the looking glass. Bring your stereotypes. Because it's only then when you can see what others see and experience what others experience. (Great blog post about the differences).

I spent the first part of the day taking a boat cruise on Lake
Placid and saw some of the most beautiful camps, landscapes, and views of Whiteface Mountain and other 46ers were spectacular. There was only one other couple on the tour with us, so we were able to ask all the questions that we wanted. We even saw people cliff-jumping (while we egged them on). And as long as I have lived in the area, it still baffles me that most people think that Mirror Lake is Lake Placid and vice-verse (I'm guilty of this too!). I was then lucky enough to tour Mirror Lake Inn, a 4-diamond spa and resort. I was in awe! I finished off the day with some dinner and drinks at both local-oriented and tourism-oriented establishments.





Now for a little bit of Malone marketing....
Have you seen Malone from a tourist's eyes? Have you taken a property tour of the Holiday Inn Express? Watched a sunset from the patio of Mo's? Gotten a golf lesson from the PGA of America secretary? Skied a black diamond, green dot, and tubed in one day at Titus? Be a tourist in Malone--you'll probably be surprised by what you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment